The Apartment Of Our Future Family!
Cosenza, Province of Cosenza, Italy
We are a young couple and we’d like to totally renovate a 150 m2 apartment.
Our desire is that of get a simple and practical apartment that ease up our lives without losing charm and style.
By now the apartment (which has a typical Italian mid-70s style) has the following characteristics:
– 150 m2 with a long corridor on which all the rooms stand: on the left hand side – from the entrance – there are a room (with a window) and a double living room (two doors, a small balcony and a window); instead, on the right (from the main entrance) there are 2 rooms (with a window each), the kitchen (with a balcony) and the bathroom (with a window). Please find plans, dwg file and photos attached.
– The apartment stands on the 3rd floor of a building in the centre of the city, the left side overlooks the west and one of the must noisy street of the town, the right side overlooks the east and the internal yard of the building. The noise from the street should not be a constrain for the new disposition of the rooms as we are comfortable that with proper window glass and jambliners we would sort the problem out.
– As said there’s just one bathroom.
– There is just one tiny storage/laundry space on the balcony of the kitchen.
– There are some beams and columns as shown in red on the plan 2. (All the walls instead can be demolished.)
– As shown on the plan 2 an heater collector is situated on the left side of the corridor
– There are two waste stacks as detailed in the plan 2.
– No furniture at all.
Here instead is our (long and detailed) wish list. We would like to make use of every single cm2 of the apartment, to optimize the space for our future family. For this reason, we can consider to ask a carpenter for some piece of furniture.
– 2 bedrooms (secondary bedroom with two twin beds)
– 2 4-piece bathrooms (at least one bathtub)
– 1 room with a workstation to be a guest bedroom occasionally
– A big dining/living room possibly in the shape of openspace from the main entrance (so as to erase the original corridor/room structure of the apartment)
– A suitable kitchen
– Master bedroom: that would be great to have a walk-in-closet with direct access from the bedroom otherwise we would like to have a huge closet (eventually made by a carpenter).
– Secondary Bedroom: for two people. We are not comfortable with ordinary bunk beds nor with pullout trundle beds. We leave you some photos of the idea we have in mind in the case in which twin beds will not fit.
– Master bathroom: we would love to place the bathtub here, but it is not compulsory. It must be equipped with 3 other pieces (sink, toilet, bidet).
– Secondary bathroom (which has to be totally added/constructed): a shower (that should have comfortable dimensions for every-day use) and 3 other pieces (sink, toilet, bidet). We would consider this bathroom as being directly accessible from the master bedroom, but this request is not compulsory.
For both our 4-piece bathroom we would like to consider floating sink, bidet and toilet.
Fully equipped with all necessary appliances. It must be functional and in a position where it is easy to reach the dining/living room. It must be easy to hide from the sight when it is messy and should have a little place for light meals (possibly without stools). We would like to have access directly or indirectly to one of the balcony, but it’s not compulsory.
In our imaginary, it is the heart of the house. As said, we are thinking of an of openspace from the main entrance (to erase the original corridor/room structure of the apartment). There must be a big table in order to host dinner and parties with friends, sofas and TV.
we would like to have a workstation for two people, a library and a bed sofa for guests. It should be ready to host both clients and family-guests.
a practical little space to contain not-frequently-used stuff.
with a washing machine and a dryer. It could be a walk-in space, but is not compulsory. It could be joint to the storage room.
Balcony on the right:
we are not willing to enclose it, but we would consider having partially enclosed balcony if that would be practical/functional for any purpose.
Plus (not compulsory) at the entrance:
Having a little, well integrated and almost invisible wardrobe to store coats/umbrellas…etc would be great!
we have decided for a wooden style stoneware not too light nor too dark. It should give a warm and familiar sensation as someone walks in the apartment not affecting the light of the ambience. We are considering maintaining the flooring in the part indicated as “Salone doppio” (you can check it on the photos) if (and only if) that could be of some advantage and if it could be harmonic with the rest of the house, the furniture and the entire style of the renovation.
To be more specific as we could we have drawn on the plan the heater system, the waste stacks and the original position of both kitchen and bathroom. The actual disposition of all these elements should not influence the new project, as we know that in order to satisfy all the requests a total renovation is needed. We would anyway be happy to consider solutions with a light impact on the mentioned elements.
NB: in the plan n° 2 please note that:
Caldaia = gas boiler (for hot water and heather system)
Radiatore riscaldamento = heather radiator
Collettore riscaldamento = heater collector
Colonna di scarico acqua = waste stack
Feel free to ask and thanks a lot!